Saturday, July 10, 2010

Presence....

For so long and to often whenever I am out in the public marketplace and I encounter people not of color their non-verbal body reactions have always released an aura of not being at ease, a sense of freight, awkwardness, anxiety and even fear...It is at once suspended in time a moment of an unnatural PRESENCE..

For years I thought it was my flight of paranoia and over sensitive state of being and not the PRESENCE of people not of color yet after exploring this issue with a number of friends my instincts were affirmed..

Me a Black man an occupant of a nuance shared moment with a person not of color brought together in a suspended moment a collection of history , imagary, propaganda, disinformation, ignorance, arrogance,instinct..

Entering a human intersection and sharing a moment of my PRESENCE.....I live for the moment where my PRESENCE has no history, no legacy, no disinformation, no rumor, no propaganda, just PRESENCE shared equally by all...

1 comment:

James G. said...

Fascinating you should say this. I used to be subject to these sorts of moments as a working class WASP in the US. (A Southern cracker to some...)

Now that I am an expat, many white Europeans who know me marvel at how at ease I am around people of color.

Don't know what that means, but an interesting observation, nonetheless.