Saturday, June 17, 2023

Ancestors Matter Now

 Today we visited the Harriet Tubman Center in Maryland not far from her birthplace. I was extremely reluctant to go on this plunge in part because historical tributes, museums especially about our history in America never appealed to me.

I wanted to avoid a bout of anger and resentment knowing the reality of what my ancestors experienced.

While I explored this multi million dollar tribute it stuck me that I have been so foolish and narrow minded. Fact is Harriet inspired me centuries after her death, I realized that now in America I have to keep my power dry because of the resurgence of the return to an America that had contempt for my humanity and sovereignty.

I needed a transfusion that my existence matters because of my parents, grandparents, ancestors.Recognition of their history is not only inspiring but it emboldens me to weather whatever racial contempt that may be in my future and trajectory of life for people in America that look and are like me

My power is dryer today and I thank U Harriet Tubman

https://www.nps.gov/hatu/index.htm


Greg/BLM

No comments: